Sunday, February 13, 2011

Ramblings from a big box store cashier

Since May of 2005, I have been employeed by a big box store. Most of that time has been as a cashier. I have some simple observations and suggestions that if heeded would make your experience and my job a lot easier.

Stay off the cell phone when checking out!!! As a cashier, there are certain things my employer wants me to ask you. I don't want to be rude and interrupt your conversation but I don't want to lose my job by not asking you. Make it easy on us both. If you are on the phone when it is time to check out, hang up! If your phone rings while you are checking out, don't answer it!

If you are buying alcohol or tobacco products expect to be carded. Many area employers require everyone who buys alcohol or tobacco show a picture ID. My facility also insists that the ID be out of the wallet. I assure you if you come through my lane you will be asked to, "Take out your ID for me, please." Don't think you are helping by telling me your age or your birthdate. I have several dates to look at and you may just confuse me. Laughing or telling me you haven't been carded in a long time isn't necessary. All you have to do is hand me your ID.

By the way, how can you come into a store to buy something without your wallet? If you write a check or use a credit card you may be asked to show your ID. Every day more and more items have age restrictions put on them. Save time bring in your ID.

Planning on using the self check stations? Here are a couple tips. You can't write a check at a self check. You can't buy age restricted items at a self check without having the attendent come over. Buying gift cards or phone cards can't be done at a self check. My company matches competitors prices but this shouldn't be done at a self check. It is pretty simple really if you are going to need assistance don't use the self check.
Keep your kids from climbing, leaning or hanging on the bagging area at the self check. It has a scale in it that verifies the weight of what you are buying.

Even at a regular checkout lane kids should be told to stand back away from the bagging area so they don't get hit in the head by the bag holders!

Going though an express lane? Know the limit for your lane and don't exceed that number!!! There may not be anyone in line when you get there but sure as heck by the time your order is rang up there will be 5 people behind you. Most express lanes are not set up for lage volume purchases nor are they made for purchases of LARGE items A 24 pake of bottled water a multipack of toilet tissue a loaf of bread and a couple of bananas is really all the checkout can handle. If your items are large go to a regular lane.

Remember, the person checking you out is only a cashier. He/she cannot explain why the store doesn't carry your favorite brand of canned artichokes or why your milk just went up $.25 a gallon.

I feel better now that I have gotten that off my chest. If you come through my lane please remember to say yes when I ask if you would like to apply for a credit card.

2 comments:

  1. I have been a city bus driver in Peoria for nearly 10 years. I have the same problems with people who board the bus. They are on the cell phone, don't have the fare ready, refuse to show an ID with their reduced fare pass/cash. They can't understand why they have been waiting for an hour for bus during night service.(1hr 15 min service)or why the buses pull out of the transit center leaving them behind when they have spent the last 10 min. smoking or talking with their friends. These are the same people who just came thru the express lane and then have 15 bags, making 2 or three trips to get on the bus...It never ends, they will always do it over and over! LMAO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Larry, you need to show a kinder gentler side when referencing idiots on cell phones who insist on having a conversation while trying to conduct business or checkout. You simply say "excuse me" and take the cell phone away from their ear and out of their hand and firmly stick it up their ass elbow deep. Then smile and tell them that an x-ray will be needed to see how to remove the phone from their ass. There, wasn't that easy and I'll bet the other idiots in line hang up.

    ReplyDelete

leave a comment