Saturday, February 26, 2011

WISCONSIN PROTESTS AND ME

  1. I DO NOT LIVE IN WISCONSIN.
  2. I DO NOT PAY TAXES IN WISCONSIN.
  3. I DO NOT KNOW ANY PUBLIC EMPLOYEES IN WISCONSIN.

SIMPLY PUT I REALLY DIDN'T CARE ABOUT THE PROTESTS IN WISCONSIN........

UNTIL TODAY !

Today is the day I saw a video taken inside the Capitol Building in Madison. The video shows a memorial dedicated to those who died in war from the state of Wisconsin. It is in a prominent location inside the capitol Building. Flanked by flags on either side, it is obvious that this is a special location.
The video the shows the back side of the memorial. Paper notes and messages are taped to the back of this memorial. Now, to me, a war memorial is a very special place, a sacred place, a hallowed space. A memorial is there for one purpose only.... to remember those who have sacrificed all in service to our country.
It is not there to hold a bunch of notes and messages like a giant refrigerator holding pictures drawn by your grand kids.
I don't care how you feel about the rights of public employees to bargain for their wages and benefits. I have belonged to unions and I have worked in places without unions. I can see the pros and cons of each side of the union debate. That is not the issue here. The issue here is

RESPECT

Respect is a simple act that means so much. Disrespect shows exactly how an individual feels. These young people have no idea that the right that they have for the freedom to assemble is directly a result of the men and women they are disrespecting. Perhaps some of the teachers who were in the capitol should have taken a moment or two to teach these people about the constitution and the bill of rights and where and how these rights were won and preserved.... ON THE BATTLE FIELD !!!

If you can read this .... THANK A teacher
If you can read it in English...... THANK A VETERAN!

View the video and you decide. CLICK HERE

1 comment:

  1. Hi Larry. Your step daughter is Kelly? We used to be dear friends but I haven't talked to her is ages.
    Take care.

    vonster.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

leave a comment